Saturday, October 4, 2008

It's Harvest Time!!!




Okay, most of you know we moved into a new home this summer. Well... the previous owners made alot of work for us. They had planted multiple fruit items and we reaped the benefits of it! Unfortunately I have been overwhelmed with fruit! I had a million raspberries, that I made a ton of raspberry jam with, froze some to put on cereal, and I gave some to friends at work!, Grapes... who knew that grapes grew in our neck of the woods? WoW!!! We have had a ton! Again, we made jelly, and some juice and we are trying to share the wealth with friends and neighbors (and yet we still have some), apples... Holy Cow! Brandy, myself, and the kids picked apples yesterday and boy did we have lots! I am trying to think of everything that we can use apples for, but I just don't know what to do with them all. Here is what I have made and am going to make, and if anyone else has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. I am making apple butter, apple cider, apple pie filling, dehydrated apples, and apple leathers. I have enough applesauce from last year so I didn't need anymore of that. Last, I have plums coming out of my ears. I am not making plum jelly, so I just don't have a lot of ideas of what to do with plums. I am going to dehydrate some and make plum leathers, but what else can you do with them (besides eat them raw, cause we've been doing that )

By the way... If anyone is in town and would like some of our crop, please feel free to stop by (until it is all gone of course!)

Here are a couple of pics of our harvest!!!

5 comments:

Christine said...

Oh man, you are living the life! What I wouldn't give to own my own fruit trees and make all that stuff- well I'd have to learn how first :) You'll be totally stocked this winter.

Amy said...

I so wish I lived next door to you! I'd be over there everyday picking fruit! Good luck with finding ways to use it all!

Andy and Yolanda said...

How yummy:P I wish we could head on up to partake of some of that fruit! Love Ya...

Sam, Melissa, and Kayla said...

I think you should open your own fruit stand and when Wendy comes up there you can sell it in her restaurant.

Candace said...

Here's and idea for ya...One of my friends made plum butter and it was wonderful!! Thanks for the apples. For some reason they made a tastier pie than the apples I got from Dean's tree.