Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Why???



As most of you know, I am a teacher. I teach second grade and I LOVE it. My first year was excellent, my second year I HATED, and this year (so far) I love.

Well...I have this little girl in my class that just has a rough life. We think she has been sexually abused by her father. She has been taken out of her home and is living with a foster family. I guess it is good that she get out of that situation, but you know, I don't think this little girl is getting the love or attention that she needs. She comes to school smelling of urine, her hair is never combed, she wears the same clothes over and over again, and sometimes she will just come up to me and ask for a hug. I could never deny a little child a hug if they ask for one. If a child is willing to ASK for a hug, they must need it. I try to make it a point to say something kind to her everyday, and treat her with love. Why is it that these children have to go through such horrible circumstances? I just wish that there were more I could do for her. Why is it that foster parents can get away with things like this? Aren't they supposed to be caring for the child? Even social services don't do a thing about it. It just makes me so sad. A child should feel safe in a home, and loved.

If you are a parent, I plead with you, please let your child know that you love them. They need to hear it and see it. They need to be treated kindly. It does make a difference, I promise you. I can tell which children get the love and attention they need from home. They bring it with them into the classroom. Be Aware, children say things that you might not want someone else to hear about.

1 comments:

Wendy Jo said...

I know how yyou feel, I come home from school crying, so many bad things happen to these kids, call social services again and report it. We had a girl who was being sexually abused by her father and when we reported it they moved away to avoid getting in trouble, she may never get help! it sucks, just be greatful that you guys didn't have to deal with that growing up!